Sunday, November 18, 2007

My Son's Manger

With Christmas on its way and the stores filled with Christmas trees, Santa Clauses and reindeer, I wanted to make sure the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Savior, was alive in the heart of my son. When you are 4 years old (going to be 5 on Thanksgiving day) all the tinsel and toys are hard to ignore.

I have to face the fact that I enjoy

buying the presents, wrapping the present and the thrill of his heart and smile on his face when he opens all the presents. Even so, with out the birth of Christ and the 3 wise men bearing gifts, the tradition of giving presents at Christmas would not even exist.

So... every time I take my son to a store, I hunt out a manger. It doesn't matter if it's collectible figurines a big blow up one for the yard or a story book, just so long as I point one out. He needs to see that the story of the birth of Christ is alive in the world today. Then I tell him a little of the Biblical story.


I was so thrilled this morning to find out that my efforts have paid off! My son brought me a yellow, triangular figure he made of plastic connecting building blocks and said, "Look Mommy! I made a manger."

No comments:

Post a Comment