Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It's National Inspirational Role Models Month!

When I first think about inspirational role models, I think of parents, pastors, teachers and friends. Parents inspire us by setting good behavior examples, pastors inspire us with Jesus' teachings, teachers inspire us with knowledge towards occupations, friends inspire us by standing by our side through thick an thin. But I also realize that sometimes inspiration that changes our entire life can come from

an acquaintance that is just passing through for a short time.

Many years ago I attended group family counseling with a volunteer counselor. She was helping us deal with a problem that one of our family members suffered from. I remember one day asking, "Why me?" Many of the others there chimed in with their 'Why me?' too. The counselor looked at, and answered us, one by one. Very loudly and firmly she said, "Why not you?" "What makes you so special?" Why shouldn't it happen in your family?" "Why should you be exempt?" I remember feeling shocked and not having an answer. I suppose all the others there felt the same way too because nobody answered the counselor.

Driving home from that group family counseling session, I started realizing, there is no reason why it shouldn't happen to me, to my family member, why we should be exempt from trouble and sorrow. But I also realized there was a reason why it was happening. I realized it was a part of God's plan. I didn't know why this problem was a part of God's plan, but I trusted God enough to know, He had a reason.

When I prayed that night, for the first time I didn't ask God Why me? Why my family member? I asked God to forgive me for thinking of myself first and how I was being affected. I asked God to show me the way to help my family member and give me the strength to endure.

The inspirational role model that I will honor this month, is Gail, a volunteer family counselor. An acquaintance that passed through my life for a short time, but inspired a change in me that lasted for a life time.

Gail inspired me to realize,

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but he did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way. If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it. Author Unknown

Why not honor your inspirational role model by sharing your true story with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment