Monday, January 18, 2010

Valentine Dove Verses

For thousands of years the dove has been looked upon as a symbol of peace, innocence, gentleness and affection. In the Song of Solomon love story, a man and a woman speak of each other as a dove or having the features of a dove six times.*

Peace, innocence, gentleness and affection. All of these things are the qualities of love. The scriptures tell us in 1 John 4:8, "He who does not love does not know God, for God is love." When we accept God and His Son Jesus into our hearts, we love peacefully, innocently, gently and with great affection.

*Song of Solomon Verses:

Behold, you are fair, my love! Behold, you are fair! You have dove’s eyes. Song of Solomon 1:15

O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret places of the cliff, Let me see your face, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your face is lovely. Song of Solomon 2:14

Behold, you are fair, my love! Behold, you are fair! You have dove's eyes behind your veil. Your hair is like a flock of goats, Going down from Mount Gilead. Song of Solomon 4:1

I sleep, but my heart is awake; It is the voice of my beloved! He knocks, saying,“ Open for me, my sister, my love, My dove, my perfect one; For my head is covered with dew, My locks with the drops of the night." Song of Solomon 5:2

His eyes are like doves By the rivers of waters, Washed with milk, And fitly set. Song of Solomon 5:12

My dove, my perfect one, Is the only one, The only one of her mother, The favorite of the one who bore her. The daughters saw her And called her blessed, The queens and the concubines, And they praised her. Song of Solomon 6:9


No comments:

Post a Comment