Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Baptism

The Bible tells us that at the age of twelve (Luke 2:41-50) Jesus taught in the temple. The Baptist church my family attended believed that not until the age of twelve would a child be mature enough to understand the meaning of the Bible scriptures, Baptism and to attend church services instead of Sunday School after Baptism. Therefore, Baptisms were performed by the minister for the 6th grade Sunday class each year. Everyone in my 6th grade Sunday school class was twelve years old that spring, except for me. I was only eleven years old.

My mother had to fight the minister and the deacons of the church in order for me to be allowed to be Baptized at the age of eleven with the rest of my class. I was questioned separately by the minister behind huge, closed, mahogany doors. Yet I was not afraid. I knew I was ready for Baptism, I understood the scriptures that had been taught to me thus far and I wanted very much to start attending Church services with my parents. I certainly did not want to repeat the 6th grade Sunday school class. I answered the minister’s questions from my heart. I guess I passed the test and/or my mother won her case, because I was indeed Baptized with my 6th grade class at the age of eleven.

On Baptism day I was menstruating and worrying about leakage. But when I walked down the steps of the Baptismal into the pool of water, suddenly all my worries disappeared. I prayed my sins would be washed away and I would live the life of a good Christian, that my faith would stand strong and I would be worthy of eternal life.

I heard the ministers words clearly as I was lowered into the Baptismal pool, but as I rose, I did not.

Matthew 3:1
And when Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting on him; and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.
Although I did not actually see a dove or hear God's voice as Jesus did when he was Baptized by John the Baptist, I felt the overwhelming warmth of God's and Christ’s love fill my heart and entire soul so fully, nothing else existed at that moment.

After I left the Baptismal pool my mother was waiting for me with tears of joy in her eyes and open arms which I quickly filled. Words were not necessary as we hugged. We both knew in our hearts that now we were both Christian women in the eyes of one another, God and Jesus Christ.

Why not share your story of when the love of God and Jesus Christ entered your heart and soul? I’d love to hear it!

1 comment:

  1. You were very brave to stand up for your beliefs.

    ReplyDelete