Sunday, December 21, 2008

To Be or Not To Be a Shepherd

For the Christmas play, scheduled for this evening at our church, all the little boys in my son's Sunday school class were asked to dress-up as and play the parts of shepherds. My son was not thrilled. He wanted to be Joseph.

I explained to him that there was only one Joesph and he was a grown-up. That is why one of the older boys was going to dress-up as and play the part of Joseph. But there were many little boys who were shepherds. That is why more than one little boy can dress-up as and play the parts of shepherds. My son still wanted to be Joseph.

I began to wonder how could I make my son want to be a shepherd. I went over the story of the nativity in my head, and I thought I had figured it out.

I explained to my son that the shepherds were very special to God. The only people that God sent an angel to, to tell them that the baby Jesus was born, was the shepherds. My son said, "OK Mommy. . . I'll be a shepherd, because if I'm not God won't have anybody to send His angel to."

No comments:

Post a Comment