Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Faith Will Bring You Home

I haven't blogged for a few weeks because I've been facing a very big life challenge. The divorce my husband desired had finalized. It was time for us to go our separate ways. Since I was going to be living on a lower income, I couldn't afford our current rent and our landlord wanted to sell the house. On top of the financial issues involved in purchasing, the rental house was really too small, in need of repairs and the community didn't offer any recreational or socialization amenities. Yes we all made do since we knew it was temporary, but now I needed a more desirable and permanent home for me and my son. And I needed to find it fast!

I wondered how in the world I was going to find a slightly larger home, in good repair, with a lower rental fee and family oriented recreation and socialization offerings for me and my son? I knew I would have to move to a new county and of course, I needed a Baptist church and good school nearby.

I had been preparing my son for daddy leaving and us moving for a year. But now that the time was upon us, I was beginning to worry about how he would really react when it actually happened. He had to leave the house he lived in for 3 years, friends he made, and the only school and church he had ever attended all at once. On top of that, I had to pack all of my son's and my own belongings for moving.

I set a rental limit for myself that I knew I could afford based on bills I presently paid. I saw lots of rental offerings online in my price range, but when I went to look at them, they were very disappointing. I just couldn't imagine living in any of them. Disrepair by landlords who just didn't seem to care was the theme of my search for a new home.

Time was running out and I admit, worry was trying to overshadow my faith. But I just couldn't give in to it! I prayed every night for the Lord to direct me to the perfect home for me and my son. I knew the Lord had never let me down before and I assured Him in prayer that I knew He wouldn't now.

Low and behold after looking at another disappointing offering, the real estate agent said, "I have another home available that is just $35 more than you budgeted for. Do you want to look at it?" I was immediately nervous about the extra expense, but I found myself saying, "It couldn't hurt to look, could it?"

It was just perfect! A slightly larger 2 bedroom home with a sun room and a detached 2 car garage on a 1/2 acre of Pocono Mountain land with mature trees and a patio. All for $215 less than I was paying at the smaller house with no sun room and garage on a smaller piece of property! The house is in in a community with lakes for boating, fishing, clean beaches with a life guard, play grounds and Friday Family Night. I knew there was a church within reasonable driving distance and the real estate agent told me how close the elementary school was. I found myself saying, "I'll take it!" While driving home however,
I wondered how I was going to afford the extra $35 a month? Perhaps I had spoken to fast.

As soon as I arrived at our little rental house, I prayed for the answer. I just had to come up with an extra $35 a month! There was no other choice! The Lord helped me to realize that He prompted the real estate agent to make the offering of a more expensive home even though I was adamant about my limit. He allowed me to say yes as quickly as I did. He provided with a good mind and the appropriate tools to find the answer on my own. The Lord wanted me to succeed.

I realized I needed to reduce my other bills and the way to find the best deals would be to search on line. Just because I am used to one thing doesn't mean I can't change or try new things. Do I really need to pay some big name phone company $60 a month for phone service? No! I found out I could pay MagicJack $19.95 a year. Do I really need to pay big bucks for a fancy cell phone and a fancy name cell phone company $60 a month for service? No! I found out I could get a free phone and pay only $25 a month to Net10. Wow! I just saved way more than $35.00 a month.

Well, we are all moved in now and my son is adjusting even better than I could possibly have hoped. I know my prayers to the Lord for my son's adjustment helped.

An as the old saying goes, the moral of the story is...

No matter what our fears, worries and challenges are, we can't let them overshadow our faith. The Lord's power is stronger than our fears. Worrying doesn't solve anything. And with the Lord's guidance we can work through all of our challenges.

No matter what happens on any given day, we must remind ourselves that...

This is the day the LORD has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24



Samsung T201G - Free Phone


2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your marriage and all the problems that stem from that. But I know the Lord will see you through as you've already said. Thoughts and prayers,
    Susan Williams- Alwaysinmyheart.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan for your concern and prayers.

    My son and I have been living in our new home for a little over a month now.

    Before my landlord purchased the house, it was a foreclosure. That means lots of work to get it back in shape. I have been clearing fallen branches and old leaves off the property and mowing the weedy lawn one section at a time. I painted the post with the house numbers on it and planted a little garden around my wishing well. I just have to stain the patio furniture, 2 sets of steps, the wishing well and a garden box. Then get my 2 fountains going and plant 2 gardens.

    Indoors I still haven't unpacked the china cabinet boxes yet, LOL! I still have lots of decor items to hang too!

    My son and I love the church we go to now and we are learning new things about ourselves and our family life every day. We have been enjoying the lake beach and the pool too! My son loves to bicycle around his new neighborhood.

    Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

    To everything there is a season,

    A time for every purpose under heaven:
    A time to be born,
    And a time to die;
    A time to plant,
    And a time to pluck what is planted;
    A time to kill,
    And a time to heal;
    A time to break down,
    And a time to build up;
    A time to weep,
    And a time to laugh;
    A time to mourn,
    And a time to dance;
    A time to cast away stones,
    And a time to gather stones;
    A time to embrace,
    And a time to refrain from embracing;
    A time to gain,
    And a time to lose;
    A time to keep,
    And a time to throw away;
    A time to tear,
    And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence,
    And a time to speak;
    A time to love,
    And a time to hate;
    A time of war,
    And a time of peace.

    ReplyDelete